House Fire on State Street Damages First-Floor Apartment, Devastates Family
There is no official word on the cause of the fire.
Around 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, the Bristol Fire Department, aided by Warren and Portsmouth Fire Departments responded to 313 State St., in Bristol for a house fire.
"At one point there was smoke everywhere, all along the roof," a neighbor said.
The fire is believed to have started on the first floor of the two-story house. No one was in the home at the time of the fire except for the homeowner's 2-year-old dog, Fenway.
According to the homeowner's son and upstairs apartment tennant Danny Fereira, who was at work at the time of the fire, Fenway must have pawed his way out the screen door.
"He got out," he said, petting the dog. "When my parents came home as the fire was happening, they found Fenway outside on the porch."
Although no one was injured in the fire, the homeowner, 75-year-old Antero Fereira, was taken to Newport Hospital to be treated for a hand laceration after his son said he attempted to get in the house during the fire and fell.
According to Danny, his father, Antero, just finished rennovating the home a few months ago.
"Everything was new, the plumbing, the electrical, the wood," Danny said. "It has to be devastating to my dad. He lost his company and all he had left was this house. Restoring this house is what he did to rebuild his life."
Although fire officials did not state the cause of the fire, Danny said he was told that the fire may have started from a short in the microwave.