Patch Picks: 5 Great Places To Have A Picnic
Editor's pick of five best places to have a picnic.
The weather is finally getting warmer, so now's the time to get out and enjoy it. I've rounded up a list of some of my favorite spots in the area to help you do just that. Spend your lunch break or the whole afternoon outside at a place on this list, having a picnic, or just relaxing. Did I leave off your favorite spot? Let us know in the comments section.
- Whether you want to pack a lunch, get takeout from a downtown restaurant, or have a meal on the water at Quito's, Independence Park in Bristol is a great spot.
- Lay out a blanket near the shell at Burrs Hill Park and spend the afternoon playing basketball, tennis or strolling the bike path. The park is usually very quiet and is a nice place to soak up the sun and catch up on some reading.
- Don't want to sit on the ground to eat your lunch? Colt State Park has picnic tables scattered all over the area and has quiet, shaded areas as well as sunny, lively spots overlooking the water.
- If you can handle the rocky shore, a great place in Bristol is near the base of the Mt. Hope Bridge. For the most part, the area is deserted and you can't get any closer to the bay unless you're swimming in it.
- This one is out of town, but I love this place so much that it can't be missed. Purgatory Chasm in Middletown is a small area, mostly wooded, that opens up to a cliff that overlooks Second Beach. Namely so, it also has a wooden bridge that takes you over an impressive chasm in the cliff.