Students Walk For Good Health
International Walk to School Day Wednesday focuses on physical fitness and individual health.
Schools from across Rhode Island — including some in Bristol and Warren — will be promoting physical fitness and good health as they recognize International Walk to School Day on Wednesday, Oct. 3.
School principals, classroom teachers, school nurses and physical education instructors have all helped get their school involved in a promotion that highlights both academic performance and individual health.
Studies have shown that exercise reduces stress and improves test scores, as well as helping to curb obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Eighteen percent of Rhode Island seventh graders weigh-in in the obese category, and 33 percent of all Rhode Island students are considered overweight.
International Walk to School Day is the celebration of getting to class by foot or bicycle, sponsored locally by the Coalition for Transportation Choices and its member groups, Audubon Society of RI, AARP, and Sierra Club RI.
Other schools participating from around the state include:
- Hampden Meadows School, Barrington
- Blackrock School, Coventry
- Edward S. Rhodes School, Cranston
- Washington Oak School, Coventry
- John J. McLaughlin Cumberland Hill School, Cumberland
- Kent Heights Elementary, East Providence
- Myron J. Francis Elementary School, East Prov
- Aquidneck School, Middletown
- Forest Avenue School, Middletown
- Joseph H. Gaudet Middle School, Middletown
- St. Michael's Country Day, Newport
- Greystone Elementary School, North Prov
- International Charter School, Providence
- Mary E Fogarty School, Providence
- Montessori Children's House, Providence
- Paul Cuffee School, Providence
- Robert F. Kennedy Elementary School, Providence
- Vartan Gregorian Elementary School, Providence
- Anna McCabe School, Smithfield
- Gallagher Middle School, Smithfield
- Old County Road School, Smithfield
- Wakefield Elementary School, South Kingstown
- Pocasset School, Tiverton
- Tiverton Middle School, Tiverton
- State Street Elementary, Westerly
- Bernon Heights School, Woonsocket
- Kevin K. Coleman Elementary School, Woonsocket
- Leo A. Savoie School, Woonsocket
- Viola Berard School, Woonsocket