Today is Columbus Day -- still a federal holiday despite some protests about Christopher Columbus and his place in history. It’s always the second Monday in October.
As a federal holiday, it means that many businesses will close down for the day; but many won’t. For Patch, for instance, it’s a regular work day.
Here is a short list of what is closed and open today.
- All federal, state and Bristol and Warren town offices, the town halls, the schools and the libraries, and the senior centers are closed today.
- Most banks are closed; TD Bank and Webster Bank are open.
- Retail stores, including markets and liquor stores are open, although many may have limited hours. Check with individual stores.
- Post offices are closed and there is no mail delivery.
- RIPTA will be operating on its holiday schedule if you are a bus rider.