Mom's Talk Q&A: Dealing with Bug Bites

Knowing when to call the doctor.

It's the season for bug bites. We get so many mosquito bites and fly bites after a while we stop paying attention. So when do you know it is a regular harmless, though itchy, bug bite and when to call in the doctor?

Rebecca says:

I usually don't call the doctor over any routine illness. When my kids have fevers, coughs, and sore throats I usually wait it out and try more holistic type of healing methods over modern day medicine. I am lucky to have such healthy children.

When it comes to rashes though I know there are so many kinds and some are symptoms of more serious illnesses so I usually call the doctor about rashes that last more than a day unless I know it's prickly heat, hives, or poison ivy.

When it comes to bug bites I learned my lesson 16 years ago. I was walking through Sachuest Point in Middletown with my one-year-old niece on my shoulders. She was up there for a while as we walked through the wildlife refuge. Upon leaving I took her down off my shoulders and saw that a huge mosquito bite had swollen to the size of her fist right above her eye on her forehead. I was young myself and not a mother yet so I freaked out and rushed her to the ER at the Newport Hospital. They put me on the phone with the pediatrician who is now my children's pediatrician and I told him she was allergic like my sister.

I felt like a fool when he calmly asked, "what makes you say they are allergic?" and I replied, "they swell ten times the size of a normal mosquito bite!"

He began to ask more serious questions about her breathing and so forth to which I realized she wasn't having a serious allergic reaction because her bug bite was a little swollen.

Since then I have never called the doctor for a bug bite, and I haven't had to. Unless there are specific markings like rings, puss oozing, or discolorations and there are no other symptoms that affect breathing or fevers indicating serious illnesses I wouldn't recommend calling the doctor. 

Use a hydrocortizone cream sparingly on the localized area and you may want to try Benedryl or a generic allergy medication to take orally. If symptoms persist for more than a couple of days, or the infected area changes shape, color or size then I would call the doctor right away.

Cindy says: 

We have gotten so many bug bites this summer. I guess it is the one downer of the season. If you get a bug bite that isn't the normal run of the mill bite that itches and then goes away within a day or two then you might want to think about calling the doctor. Especially if one is bigger than normal, or swells up red or puffy, it could be a spider bite.

Then there is the dreaded tick bite that if you see a bullet ring around a bite mark, then you should immediately go to the doctor.
Most times it will just be a regular mosquito, gnat bite or even the terrible green fly bite that you have to deal with.

I use witch hazel on my kids bites , it doesn't sting as bad as alcohol.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something