A resolution that could change the method used to fund the Bristol-Warren schools goes before the Warren Town Council at its meeting tonight, Jan. 14.
The Town Council meets in the Council Chambers in Town Hall. The meeting starts at 7 pm.
The resolution would change the state enabling legislation that established the regional district. Instead of using Oct. 1 each year to determine enrollment figures and spending for each town each year in the regional district, the Joint Finance Committee wants to try an alternate method that will help to eliminate the ups and downs over the years and provide more stable funding.
That method would use an average daily membership (ADM) over a 13-year time period – the length of time children go to school in the district from K to grade 12. The Joint Finance Committee chose this enrollment-based approach over a separate assessment-based approach after listening to a presentation made by the finance directors for Bristol, Warren and the school district: Julie Goucher, Mike Abbruzzi and Pauline Silva, respectively. They were asked by the JFC to come up with alternatives to the present methodology.
The resolution also would increase Warren’s membership on the Joint Finance Committee from 3 to 4 members. Bristol will stay at 6 members on the JFC.
Both changes to the enabling legislation were agreed to at the most recent JFC meeting. The changes to the law must be made by the General Assembly.
Here is the complete agenda for tonight’s meeting:
Warren Town Council Meeting
January 14, 2014
Town Hall, 514 Main Street
Consent Agenda - all items listed with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine by the Town Council and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a council member or citizen request in which event the item will be withdrawn from the General Order of Business and considered in the normal sequence on the agenda.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE:
Bristol County Water Authority
LETTERS OF RESIGNATION:
1. Helen Hawkinson - Warren Conservation Commission
2. Richard Silva - Planning Board Member
REPORT ON ATTENDANCE – PLANNING BOARD:
Declaration of vacancy
Board, Commission & Committee Vacancies
Conservation Commission (1 position)
1. Barbara Paroline, 26 Everett Street
Economic Development Board (2 positions)
Juvenile Hearing Board (1 position)
1. Terry Jeremiah 50 Bagy Wrinkle Cove
(serving as alternate, request for consideration to full member)
Library Trustee (1 position)
1. Carol Gafford, 624 Metacom Ave.
1. James Leffers MD, 412 Seaview Avenue
2. Michael Gerhardt, 39 Bagy Wrinkle Cove
3. Stephen Piper, 34 Coomer Avenue
Voluntary Historical District Commission (1 position)
1. Eileen S. Collins, 26 State Street
Voluntary Historical District Commission-Board of Appeals (1 position)
Zoning Board (1 alternate position)
ACCEPTANCE OF MINUTES:
Acceptance of December 10, 2013 Minutes
Acceptance of December 10, 2013 Executive Session Minutes
Acceptance of December 16, 2013 Minutes
*P-1 & *P-2
Article I. Police Department, Sec 16-1 thru 16-16 (1st reading) (President Christopher W. Stanley, sponsor)
Request for a Class F Beverage License
From: Mt. Hope Wrestling Fundraiser, 605 Main Street, Warren, RI 02885
Date: February 8, 2014
Event: Clamboil Fundraiser
Location: Central Fire Station
Request for renewal of Private Detectives License
From: Douglas White, 44 Overhill Road, Warren, RI 02885
Request for a Yearly Entertainment License outdoors in courtyard.
From: The Wooden Midshipman (Kate Dickson
146 Water Street, Warren, RI 02885
Anticipated Entertainment: Un-amplified theater performance
Request for a Drainlayers License
From: Pond View Excavation, Corp.
50 French Street, Rehoboth, MA 02769
Request for donation from the Warren Wrestling Club
Request for a Victualling License
From: Asian Café, 606 Metacom Avenue, Warren, RI 02885
BCWA Monthly Report
Discussion and action regarding property owned by the Town of Warren Assessor’s Plat 19, Lot at 27 Hugh Cole Road.
Discussion and action regarding letter from Rev. David W. Masello, regarding crosswalk sign in front of St. Alexander’s Church.
Request a motion to advertise for vacancy of Harbor Master.
Discussion and action letter from Kickemuit River Council objecting to Coastal Resources Management Council proposal to allow limited Marinas & AquacultureSites without public input.
Discussion and action relative to supporting a resolution to change the enabling legislation that will:
a. Allow the BWRSD to determine student population using an average as opposed to the date of October 1st.
b. Increase the Town of Warren's Membership to the JFC by one member (from 3 to 4)
1. Request a motion for Executive Session (closed session) Pursuant to 42-46-5 Sub Section (a) (2) Collective Bargaining.
2. Request motion by Town Council to accept Town Manager’s Annual Report pursuant to the Town Charter, 4.04 (16)
1. Request a motion for Executive Session (closed session) Pursuant to 42-46-5 Sub Section (a) (2) Litigation. (Report)
1. Request the Council to award bid and authorize the Council President to sign the contract with JML Excavation, Inc. 3 Doris Avenue, Bristol, and RI for $343,250.00 for the Franklin Street Drainage Project. Acct #C-04-013-14-0006 - Balance $ 390,278.91.
1. Request the Town Council to approve and authorize the Council President to sign the annual agreement for the Plymovent Source Capture Emergency Vehicle Exhaust Fume Removal System for $3,720.00. #4-01-530-2010 - General account.
1. Recommended Abatements to Tax Roll
Abatements 2002 $ 205.84
Abatements 2003 $ 495.95
Abatements 2004 $ 37.13
Abatements 2006 $ 80.24
Abatements 2008 $ 404.30
Abatements 2009 $ 18.12
Abatements 2010 $ 7.20
Abatements 2011 $ 15.91
Abatements 2013 $ 104.60
2. Request that the Warren Town Council approve the settlement agreement from Ames Department Stores, Inc. and authorize the Council President to sign the Stipulation of Settlement of Claims for $11,475.38. Request motion to convene to Executive Session: Discussion and action on items discussed in Executive Session.