Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Rhode Island State Police announced the results of "Operation Iceberg," which charged eight Rhode Islanders with possession of child pornography.
A Warren man was among eight Rhode Island residents arrested by the state police on child pornography charges on Apr. 30. State Police officers presented Michael Lund, 31, of 401 Market St., for arraignment in Sixth District Court, Warwick, on one count each of possession and transfer of child pornography. Col. Steven O'Donnell said in a statement that the Computer Crimes Unit/Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force led an undercover operation, called "Operation Iceberg," that identified the eight men, and that follow-up investigation found "[n]umerous images and videos of child pornography" on their computers and digital media. Also arrested were: Two Woonsocket residents were also arrested on active warrants for charges not related…
Thursday, April 4, 2013
The Rhode Island State Police issued a call for help in identifying the caller, who said "the Mexican gangs" were "out to get" state troopers.
Rhode Island State Police Col. Steven O'Donnell issued a request on Apr. 3 asking for the public's help in identifying a suspect who called the Warren Police Department and threatened state officers. According to O'Donnell, the caller contacted the local department on Feb. 8, the day after Benjamin Servideo, 24, of Newport, pleaded guilty to two traffic violations stemming from a fatal car accident in East Greenwich. Rhode Island Atty. Gen. Peter Kilmartin and the state police declined to file criminal charges against Servideo in the accident, which killed Sullynette Sanchez, 23, of Providence. At the time, Sanchez was eight months pregnant. Doctors delivered the baby, but he died two weeks later. "State Police officers will be …
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
A third count of second-degree child molestation — the fifth overall — was added to the list of charges against the former youth sports coach.
At a Jan. 22 arraignment hearing in Sixth District Court, a new charge of second-degree child molestation was added to the list of counts against Richard Perry, 55, of Warren, East Bay Newspapers reported today. Two of Perry's alleged victims were in the courtroom during the hearing, according to a report on eastbayri.com posted this afternoon. State Police arrested Perry in December, and charged him with two counts each of first- and second-degree child molestation. Rick Lombardi, of Providence, and Jim Phillips, of Warren, said they plan to testify at Perry's upcoming trial, the website reported. He is next scheduled for a pre-trial hearing on March 21.
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Richard Perry, 55, is due for a bail hearing on Jan. 10.
The former youth sports coach and school custodian charged with four felony counts of child molestation remains held without bail at the Adult Correctional Institutions, Cranston, until a scheduled Jan. 10 bail hearing. Richard Perry, 55, has also retained defense attorney Paul J. Dimaio, according to East Bay Newspapers. State and Bristol Police officers arrested Perry on Dec. 13 following a six-month investigation, and presented him for arraignment that day in Providence Superior Court. Lt. Benjamin Barney of the State Police confirmed that other people have contacted his department about Perry, and that investigators are looking into their reports. The eastbayri.com website also reported that Perry previously worked as a special …
Friday, December 21, 2012
Richard Perry, 55, faces four felony counts of child molestation based on testimony given by one alleged victim.
UPDATE, Dec. 20, 3:40 pm: Spokeswoman Any Kempe of the Rhode Island Attorney General's office confirmed this afternoon that Perry remains held without bail until a determination of attorney hearing scheduled for Dec. 27. A pre-trial hearing is scheduled for Jan. 16. Original Article, Dec. 20 at 5:45 am: More people have contacted the Rhode Island State Police about Richard Perry, 55, the former youth sports coach and Kickemuit Middle School custodian who was arrested last week on child molestation charges, Lt. Benjamin Barney confirmed. Investigators are "in the process of vetting" those reports and determining whether more charges may be filed, Barney said during a phone interview on Thursday. Barney also explained that the four felony …
Thursday, August 2, 2012
Thomas Wells admits in court to downloading and distributing child pornography through a peer-to-peer network.
A Warren man arrested in September 2011 during a Rhode Island State Police led roundup of 14 individuals identified as allegedly possessing and/or distributing child pornography pleaded guilty in federal court Thursday to federal child pornography charges. According to the U.S. Attorney's office in Rhode Island, Thomas Wells, 32, pleaded guilty as charged in a federal indictment returned February 1, 2012, charging him with one count each of possession and distribution of child pornography. Wells was arrested by one of eight teams of federal, state and local law enforcement agents and officers that fanned out across the state on September 28, 2011, armed with court authorized search warrants for residences identified by the Internet Crimes …
Wednesday, March 21, 2012
The primary seat belt law allows officers to fine motorists $85 for not buckling up at any time of the day.
Rhode Island police have a message for motorists: click your seat belt or face a $85 fine. Local law enforcement including Bristol and Warren Police will start heavily enforcing nighttime seat belt use. Violators will be fined $85 for each person in the vehicle who is not wearing a belt. According to DOT, 79 percent of vehicle fatalities in Rhode Island occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. In those crashes, nearly three-fourths of motorists were killed for not wearing their seatbelts. The campaign will be the second law enforcement effort conducted under the state's new primary seat belt law. Enacted last June, the statue allows police to fine drivers at any time for not buckling up. Under the prior law, drivers had to be pulled over for …
Friday, February 3, 2012
A two-vehicle crash in Bristol Wednesday kept traffic at a standstill on the Mount Hope Bridge.
A two-vehicle crash in Bristol Wednesday evening caused traffic to come to a standstill along the Mount Hope Bridge, with some motorists waiting more than 30 minutes to cross. The crash occurred at 5:47 p.m. at 659 Bristol Ferry Road, Bristol. Portsmouth Rescue was called to assist at the scene, according to Capt. Michael O'Brien of the Portsmouth Fire Department. Two vehicles collided, causing front-end damage to at least one of the cars. State Police responded to the scene. Updated at 10:34 a.m. Friday The Sakonnet Times reports several people, including children, were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment of injuries following the crash. Several youth were transported to Hasbro Children's Hospital as a precaution, The …
Monday, August 22, 2011
Eighteen people were indicted by the Providence County Grand Jury, including eight residents from Warren and one from Bristol.
Eight Warren residents and one Bristol man were among a group of 18 people indicted today on drug charges after a six-month investigation by the Rhode Island State Police. All the local people were charged with criminal solicitation. The Providence County Grand Jury handed out the indictments today, according to a press release from the Rhode Island Attorney General’s Office. The 18 were charged with varying criminal offenses, including possession of up to a kilo of cocaine, delivery of cocaine, possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, possession of cocaine, and solicitation to commit a felony. The state police received a court order to intercept communications relative to drug distribution. Police intercepted more than…
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Rhode Island State Police, U.S. marshals and the New York Police Department arrested a New York man wanted on murder charges on Tuesday in Bristol.
After months of searching, a New York man wanted on murder charges was recently tracked down and arrested at a residence on State Street in Bristol by United States, Rhode Island and New York law enforcement officials. According to Rhode Island State Police, on Tuesday, July 19, at approximately 10:30 p.m., members of the Rhode Island State Police Violent Fugitive Task Force, members of the United States Marshals Service and members of the New York City Police Department Violent Felony Fugitive Squad, arrested Juan Mejia, 28, of a last known address of 2006 Ellis Ave., 3D, Bronx, New York, as a fugitive from justice from the State of New York. Rhode Island State Police Detective Capt. James Demers said the New York Police Department …